May 28, 2008

Teach Children the Power of Matching Fund

Due to the natural disaster in Asia, my children’s school set up a Relief Fund and asked parents for donation. They did the same for Hurricane Katrina and the Southeast Asia Tsunami. But I want to make it different this time – I asked my children to donate.

I figure it is the right time. First, the disaster news was all around. My children had already seen the pictures as I mentioned in “Share with Children the Disaster News”. They had asked why people asked for donation, where would the money go, who could be benefited, what would the victim get, what do they need the most, why people should donate, what do they get, etc. With all the explanations I made, they should be ready for their first big monetary donation.

I also told my children the power of matching fund. I offered to match 100% of what they donate. To make the deal even sweeter, I showed them my company policy to match 100% of how much we donate. My 8-year-old girl thought it was so “cool” to make $1 become $4. She opened her wallet and counted the bills; so did my other daughter.

I think I just killed two or three birds with one stone.

No comments: